Wednesday, May 13, 2020

A "Novel" Defense - Medical Masks as Art

One Saturday afternoon in late March I was home sewing (which was odd, since I've worked most every Saturday for the past 20 years) making a mask to wear.  I wondered if artists were given the task to make a mask, wearable or not, what would they make. Realizing that our Drive by/Walk by gallery was the perfect venue for such a show during this unusual time, I texted a few artist friends. Then Heather Hoggan and I sent out a call to Arroyo Arts Collective Artists.  A week later I was astonished by the pieces that begin appearing in our foyer.  We received so many masks that we were not able to put them all up in this first group. So over the next several weeks, until the end of June, we'll be hopefully selling and constantly adding new pieces to the show. All masks are available to purchase in our store at Random Framing. Proceeds from the show benefit the artists, The Collective and Covid-19 mask makers. For updates, Follow us on Instagram @TheSlowDownGalleryIf you'd like to call our number at the shop is (323)550-8000

No comments:

Post a Comment